§ 1360 - Modification Of Unit By Owner; Facilitation Of Access For Handicapped; Association Approval
- (a)Subject to the provisions of the governing documents and other applicable provisions of law, if the boundaries of the separate interest are contained within a building, the owner of the separate interest may do the following:
- (1) Make any improvements or alterations within the boundaries of his or her separate interest that do not impair the structural integrity or mechanical systems or lessen the support of any portions of the common interest development.
- (2)Modify a unit in a condominium project, at the owner's expense, to facilitate access for persons who are blind, visually handicapped, deaf, or physically disabled, or to alter conditions which could be hazardous to these persons. These modifications may also include modifications of the route from the public way to the door of the unit for the purposes of this paragraph if the unit is on the ground floor or already accessible by an existing ramp or elevator. The right granted by this paragraph is subject to the following conditions:
- (A)The project has been in existence more than 50 years, is obsolete and uneconomic, and owners of separate interests holding in the aggregate more than a 50-percent interest in the common area oppose repair or restoration of the project.
- (B)The conditions for such a sale, set forth in the declaration, have been met.
- (C)Modifications external to the dwelling shall not prevent reasonable passage by other residents, and shall be removed by the owner when the unit is no longer occupied by persons requiring those modifications who are blind, visually handicapped, deaf, or physically disabled.
- (D)Any owner who intends to modify a unit pursuant to this paragraph shall submit his or her plans and specifications to the association of the condominium project for review to determine whether the modifications will comply with the provisions of this paragraph. The association shall not deny approval of the proposed modifications under this paragraph without good cause.
- (b)Any change in the exterior appearance of a separate interest shall be in accordance with the governing documents and applicable provisions of law.