§ 53341.5 - Sale Or Lease Of Lot, Parcel Or Unit Of Subdivision; Notice Of Special Tax; Form; Modification Of Form; Termination Of Agreement; Violations And Penalties
- (a) If a lot, parcel, or unit of a subdivision is subject to a special tax levied pursuant to this chapter, the subdivider, his or her agent, or representative, shall not sell, or lease for a term exceeding five years, or permit a prospective purchaser or lessor to sign a contract of purchase or a deposit receipt or any substantially equivalent document in the event of a lease with respect to the lot, parcel, or unit, or cause it to be sold or leased for a term exceeding five years, until the prospective purchaser or lessee of the lot, parcel, or unit has been furnished with and has signed a written notice as provided in this section. The notice shall contain the heading “NOTICE OF SPECIAL TAX” in type no smaller than 8-point type, and shall be in substantially the following form. The form may be modified as needed to clearly and accurately describe the tax structure and other characteristics of districts created before January 1, 1993, or to clearly and accurately consolidate information about the tax structure and other characteristics of two or more districts that levy or are authorized to levy special taxes with respect to the lot, parcel, or unit:
NOTICE OF SPECIAL TAX
COMMUNITY FACILITIES DISTRICT NO. ___
COUNTY OF ____, CALIFORNIA
TO: THE PROSPECTIVE PURCHASER OF THE REAL PROPERTY KNOWN AS:
THIS IS A NOTIFICATION TO YOU PRIOR TO YOUR ENTERING INTO A CONTRACT TO PURCHASE THIS PROPERTY. THE SELLER IS REQUIRED TO GIVE YOU THIS NOTICE AND TO OBTAIN A COPY SIGNED BY YOU TO INDICATE THAT YOU HAVE RECEIVED AND READ A COPY OF THIS NOTICE.
- (1)This property is subject to a special tax, that is in addition to the regular property taxes and any other charges, fees, special taxes, and benefit assessments on the parcel. It is imposed on this property because it is a new development, and is not necessarily imposed generally upon property outside of this new development. If you fail to pay this tax when due each year, the property may be foreclosed upon and sold. The tax is used to provide public facilities or services that are likely to particularly benefit the property. YOU SHOULD TAKE THIS TAX AND THE BENEFITS FROM THE FACILITIES AND SERVICES FOR WHICH IT PAYS INTO ACCOUNT IN DECIDING WHETHER TO BUY THIS PROPERTY.
- (2)The maximum special tax that may be levied against this parcel to pay for public facilities is $______ during the ____-__ tax year. This amount will increase by __ percent per year after that (if applicable). The special tax will be levied each year until all of the authorized facilities are built and all special tax bonds are repaid, but in any case not after the ____-__ tax year. An additional special tax will be used to pay for ongoing service costs, if applicable. The maximum amount of this tax is ____ dollars ($____) during the ____-__ tax year. This amount may increase by ____, if applicable, and that part may be levied until the ____-__ tax year (or forever, as applicable).
- (3)The authorized facilities that are being paid for by the special taxes, and by the money received from the sale of bonds that are being repaid by the special taxes, are: These facilities may not yet have all been constructed or acquired and it is possible that some may never be constructed or acquired.
In addition, the special taxes may be used to pay for costs of the following services:YOU MAY OBTAIN A COPY OF THE RESOLUTION OF FORMATION THAT AUTHORIZED CREATION OF THE COMMUNITY FACILITIES DISTRICT, AND THAT SPECIFIES MORE PRECISELY HOW THE SPECIAL TAX IS APPORTIONED AND HOW THE PROCEEDS OF THE TAX WILL BE USED, FROM THE ____ (name of jurisdiction) BY CALLING ____ (telephone number). THERE MAY BE A CHARGE FOR THIS DOCUMENT NOT TO EXCEED THE REASONABLE COST OF PROVIDING THE DOCUMENT.
I (WE) ACKNOWLEDGE THAT I (WE) HAVE READ THIS NOTICE AND RECEIVED A COPY OF THIS NOTICE PRIOR TO ENTERING INTO A CONTRACT TO PURCHASE OR SIGNING A DEPOSIT RECEIPT WITH RESPECT TO THE ABOVE-REFERENCED PROPERTY. I (WE) UNDERSTAND THAT I (WE) MAY TERMINATE THE CONTRACT TO PURCHASE OR DEPOSIT RECEIPT WITHIN THREE DAYS AFTER RECEIVING THIS NOTICE IN PERSON OR WITHIN FIVE DAYS AFTER IT WAS DEPOSITED IN THE MAIL BY GIVING WRITTEN NOTICE OF THAT TERMINATION TO THE OWNER, SUBDIVIDER, OR AGENT SELLING THE PROPERTY.
- (b) “Subdivision,” as used in subdivision (a), means improved or unimproved land that is divided or proposed to be divided for the purpose of sale, lease, or financing, whether immediate or future, into two or more lots, parcels, or units and includes a condominium project, as defined by Section 4125 or 6542 of the Civil Code, a community apartment project, a stock cooperative, and a limited-equity housing cooperative, as defined in Sections 11004, 11003.2, and 11003.4, respectively, of the Business and Professions Code.
- (c)The buyer shall have three days after delivery in person or five days after delivery by deposit in the mail of any notice required by this section, to terminate his or her agreement by delivery of written notice of that termination to the owner, subdivider, or agent.
- (d)The failure to furnish the notice to the buyer or lessee, and failure of the buyer or lessee to sign the notice of a special tax, shall not invalidate any grant, conveyance, lease, or encumbrance.
- (e)Any person or entity who willfully violates the provisions of this section shall be liable to the purchaser of a lot or unit that is subject to the provisions of this section, for actual damages, and in addition thereto, shall be guilty of a public offense punishable by a fine in an amount not to exceed five hundred dollars ($500). In an action to enforce a liability or fine, the prevailing party shall be awarded reasonable attorney’s fees.