§ 7522 - Board Elections, 5,000 or More Units
A corporation with 5,000 or more members may provide that, in any election of a director or directors by members of the corporation except for an election authorized by Section 7152 or 7153:
- (a) The corporation’s articles or bylaws shall set a date for the close of nominations for the board. The date shall not be less than 50 nor more than 120 days before the day directors are to be elected. No nominations for the board can be made after the date set for the close of nominations.
- (b) If more people are nominated for the board than can be elected, the election shall take place by means of a procedure which allows all nominees a reasonable opportunity to solicit votes and all members a reasonable opportunity to choose among the nominees.
- (c) A nominee shall have a reasonable opportunity to communicate to the members the nominee’s qualifications and the reasons for the nominee’s candidacy.
- (d) If after the close of nominations the number of people nominated for the board is not more than the number of directors to be elected, the corporation may without further action declare that those nominated and qualified to be elected have been elected.
- (1) Notwithstanding subdivision (d), for a common interest development subject to this part, if, after the close of nominations of directors for the board of directors of the common interest development, the number of director nominees is not more than the number of vacancies to be elected, as determined by the inspector or inspectors of elections selected pursuant to Section 5110 of the Civil Code, the director nominees shall be considered elected by acclamation if the association provided individual notice of the election and the procedure for nominating candidates at least 30 days before the close of nominations.
- (2) For purposes of this subdivision:
- (A) “Common interest development” has the same meaning as that term is defined in Section 4100 of the Civil Code.
- (B) “Individual notice” has the same meaning as that term is defined in Section 4153 of the Civil Code.